Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Debate on San Antonio Spurs



I think it's time for me to express a little debate opinion against the Spurs right now. I don't usually bring my arguments into random things, like the NBA Playoffs, but this is one of the things I think I have a good argument for. So let's jump right into it.
The Spurs had the best record in the NBA (along with the Chicago Bulls) with 50 wins and just 16 losses. Gregg Popovich also won coach of the year. They had an 11-game win streak, and Tony Parker put his name into the MVP candidates list for the NBA. That's not bad. So why don't I think they can win the championship this year?
Point number one: Nobody cares about the regular season. Teams who get enough wins to make it to the playoffs don't do anything after that. The record's for the top four teams in each conference really don't matter at all. It becomes the "Glorified Recreational Basketball League" (as my brother calls it), and they basically just try to be flashy. They had a great record, sure... but I don't think that matters even a little bit.
Next point: They're old. Yeah, shouldn't matter if you're good enough. But in playoff time, these guys gotta keep up with the young ones. I think they'll get by the Jazz, but then it's on to take on Blake Griffin/Chris Paul. Maybe they can even get by that, but then its Kobe/Andrew Bynum or Kevin Durant/Russ Westbrook. Their age is gonna hurt them. They can't keep up with the young ones.
Last point: They have a decent defense, but they won't be able to stop the all-stars. By all-stars I'm talking Kobe, Bynum, Durant, Westbrook. I think Tony Parker can maybe handle the small guys. But really... who is gonna stop Kobe or Durant? I love Manu Ginobili, but he can't stop them and nobody else on the Spurs can. I don't think they will make it out of the Western Conference.
So let's say I'm wrong. Their record is a legit reflection of the team. They can keep up with the young ones. Somehow they manage to shut down Kobe/Bynum/Durant/Paul/Griffin/Westbrook. They cannot keep up with the Heat. Nobody can. It is gonna be one of the biggest flukes if the Heat fold in this year's playoffs. I don't like criticizing on classy teams, and the Spurs are definitely one of those teams. Manu and Tim Duncan are some of the best guys in the league. Just gonna say it though... They have a very slim chance of winning it all this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment