Friday, April 20, 2012

Vikings Draft Options


So the 2012 NFL Draft is slowly approaching, and the Vikes have the 3rd pick overall. We got a lot of holes to fill, so this year's draft is crucial. Here are a few guys that I really like, and I'd love to see the Vikes take a chance with them:

Morris Claiborne - CB, LSU
 Everybody knows who Morris Claiborne is in this draft. I'd love to see the Vikes go after him with the 3rd pick. As crucial as a left tackle is for our young quarterback, the Vikes need a ton of help at cornerback. I think Claiborne is gonna be one of the best corners in the NFL eventually. Plus, in a division that we have to take on Calvin Johnson, Greg Jennings, and Brandon Marshall... we're gonna need a shutdown corner. There is no way we can survive with the secondary we have now, and it's time to bring in the young guys. I wouldn't be disappointed with Kalil or Blackmon at all, though. All three of these guys have top talent and I think will all be great athletes in their career.

Harrison Smith - S, Notre Dame
Second round and I think the Vikes should go with some more defensive backs. Harrison Smith is a bright kid who has proven to be a great football player. The guy had three picks in his bowl game and solidified himself as a great draft prospect. I'm just hoping he can fall to us in the second round. It's gonna be a crazy draft, so who knows where he could land. I think if he's available to the Vikes in the second round we should go with him. Again, in a division with probably the best receivers in the NFL, we gotta beef up that secondary and try to slow down these passing threats. Harrison Smith at safety would be a solid pick here.


Mohamed Sanu - WR, Rutgers
I have discussed this guy over the last few months with a lot of people. Nobody thinks he will be an all-star but they can't disagree with his athletic ability. I don't think he'll be an amazing game-changing guy, but that isn't what the Vikes need on offense. Ponder just needs another target. We have been talking to former Bengals wide receiver Jerome Simpson, which would be a nice signing, but if we don't get him, we're gonna need to find someone. I think Sanu could turn out to be better than expected. He's got a lot of raw talent which can easily be molded into some skills in the NFL. I'd love to see the Vikes snag him if he drops to the third round.


Kirk Cousins - QB, Michigan State
I have probably been the biggest supporter of Kirk Cousins over the last few weeks. I have seen this guy's highlights, and I really have no idea how he is not a guaranteed first round pick. Can anyone tell me what is wrong with this guy?? Really, I have no idea... please help me figure this out. I actually think he is the third best QB behind Luck and RGIII. I don't know why everyone is talking about Tannehill. Cousins is gonna be a great quarterback, and even though the Vikes have Ponder, there is high value in this pick. If anything happened to Ponder, or maybe he just didn't turn out how we'd hoped, Cousins could be a tremendous insurance quarterback. He is someone who clearly understands the game and his position.

Doug Martin - RB, Boise State
The Vikes don't really need a runningback, after we signed like 3 free agents this offseason, but Martin wouldn't hurt. He's a young guy with some speed. He's just an all-around great runningback. I would go to high on him, but if he's a fourth round option, I would like to see us take a chance. There are far too many position players I have been looking at for the Vikings, but I think these might be good options. If Peterson and Gerhart continue to struggle with injuries, Martin would be a nice fill in alongside some of the other guys we have signed, such as Lex Hilliard and Jordan Todman. I'd like to see us find a back somewhere in this draft, even if it is the late rounds.


Markus Zusevics - OT, Iowa
Here's a big boy that would be a good draft pick for the Vikes. He's got good size and strength and would be a solid fourth or fifth round pick. He has been overshadowed by the guy on the other side of the line, Riley Reiff. The Vikes obviously need some work up front on the line, especially with the departures of Anthony Herrera and Steve Hutchinson. Zusevics is a guy that I think we can develop into a starter, either as a tackle or a guard. From what I've read, he seems to be pretty underrated, and he's a good kid with a lot of upside. Here's my offensive line suggestion for the Vikes.


Jaquies Smith - OLB, Missouri
This guy is pretty much a monster. He's a little undersized, but he plays big. Another guy that has been overshadowed by a stud who played in front of him. Last year Aldon Smith (who had an amazing rookie season) was the guy that silenced the skills of Jaquies Smith. I think this guy will go late and he will be a good pick for whoever gets him. Hey, the Vikes could use a little help at linebacker... let's try him out and see how it works. I think we will be hearing Jaquies Smith's name as an impact defender in the NFL in the near future.



Keshawn Martin - WR, Michigan State
Here's another guy I've been high on for a while. I don't know what it is that impresses me so much with these Michigan State guys... I think Keshawn Martin is highly underrated. He was an impact performer who was always a go-to-guy in the final minutes. On the other side B.J. Cunningham was getting all the attention, yet it seemed like nobody could keep up with Martin. Cousins said that Martin was gonna be a surprised to a lot of people, and I agree with him. Huge upside with this pick, and I think we can get him on a last day pick. He'll be a steal wherever he goes.


Dale Moss - WR, South Dakota State
Ok, this is a homer pick. Gotta go with the South Dakota guy in round seven. I got to see this guy play football and basketball against my high school, so it would only be awesome to see him play for the Vikings. I don't know how great he'll be, but we might as well take a chance. From what I've heard, he's an extremely athletic kid. Also, he has a lot of size and speed. That's a pretty good combo for a wide receiver. Best of luck to Dale in his professional football career.

No comments:

Post a Comment